Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Sign of the Cross (Greek Orthodox)


The Sign of the Cross: The Gesture, the Mystery, the History
by Andreas Andreapoulous
Read May 2008

I found this at the library after seeing it written up in a catalog, I think.
This was an excellent book. It was written by a Greek Orthodox priest, so it approached the Sign of the Cross from the Orthodox perspective. Much of it still applied to me as a Roman Catholic. There were some practices described, however, that were unknown to me.

This was largely filled with the history and symbolism of the Sign. I got a lot out of his explanation of symbols. It wasn't an easy read, but it kept me going because it was fascinating.

It was because of this book that I started signing myself using my three fingers together to represent the Trinity. The other two fingers, folded down, represent the humanity and divinity of Christ.

No comments: