Friday, October 9, 2009

Flyaway

Flyaway: How a Wild Bird Rehabber Sought Adventure and Found Her Wings
by Suzie Gilbert
Finished October 6, 2009

I found this book when looking for new books about pets for a library bibliography. No, it isn't about pets, but I ran across it when looking for the subject "birds." I think I was attracted to the book because my family has been talking about birds and birdfeeders lately.


Suzie Gilbert worked as a volunteer at a raptor rehabilitation facility in New England. For reasons having something to do with internal politics, she quit that position and decided to strike out on her own. It became an idea that grew almost beyond Gilbert's capabilities. As she learned more and more about caring for wild birds, she learned more about herself and her family and their ability to cope during difficult times.

The stories of these birds Gilbert cared for were fascinating. They came to her for many reasons from simple wounds to injuries inflicted on purpose by cruel hearted people. Sparrows, wrens, finches, grackles, hawks, crows - Gilbert cared for a huge variety of birds. My favorite to read about were the crows. I have a new found respect for these intelligent and funny birds.

Suzie Gilbert's family was (is) charming and I enjoyed reading about them as much as I enjoyed the birds.

This book was a winner!



No comments: