Monday, August 9, 2010

The Dearly Departed

by Elinor Lipman
Finished July 2010

I am just now writing about this, but I finished reading it a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed this book. I had left it for the end of my Elinor Lipman marathon because it was about death and I thought it would bother me. But, it was fine.
Sunny Batten's mother and a man named Miles Finn die unexpectedly in a tragic carbon monoxide poisoning accident. Sunny travels to her hometown of King George, New Hampshire for the funeral and to take care of her mother's estate. There she gets reaquainted with her childhood friends and enemies. She also meets Fletcher Finn, the son of her mother's fiance (although there is little proof that they were actually engaged.) Sunny learns new things about herself as she is learning new things about her mother's life and love life. All of the characters are enjoyable. Lipman almost always includes an interestingly exhasperating character and Fletcher Finn fills that role.
There's not much else to say about this one except that it didn't leave me disappointed. While it wasn't one of my favorite Lipman books, it was a good one.

No comments: