Friday, January 8, 2016

The Big Dark

by Rodman Philbrack
January 2016

The Big DarkThe Big Dark by Rodman Philbrick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a disaster book - one of the type I usually call "end-of-the-world" books. That description doesn't completely fit this book, but the characters experience the end of the world as they know it.
Because of a massive solar flare all electricity on the planet failed. Even flashlights and oil powered generators are dead. The magnetic field of the earth has been thrown off by the flare. So this is the story of how a small town in New Hampshire deals with the crisis. I enjoyed this. It was a quick read and one that kids in middle school and up will like. Rodman Philbrick has written two Newbery Honor books (Freak the Mighty and The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg ). I didn't feel that The Big Dark was award worthy. But, still an enjoyable kid's science fiction book.


View all my reviews

No comments: