Friday, October 24, 2008

Padre Pio: The True Story

by C.Bernard Ruffin
Read October 2008

I actually started reading this way back at the end of 2006 or early 2007. I left it for a long time and then picked it back up in August or September 08.

St. Pio of Pietrelcina had the stigmata. He could levitate, bilocate and heal people. He was a mystic. Throughout his life he as afflicted with poor health. It's my theory that mystics are so sensitive that they suffer physically because of it.

This was a long, involved book. I think the author wanted to make sure he provided sufficient evidence for the miracles performed by Padre Pio. He was also careful to show us that he was a humble, if difficult man. Padre Pio didn't consider himself to be saintly. He almost seemed to think that he failed God.

This is an amazing story. I am glad that I finished reading it. It's good to know about St. Pio. I had some rememberance, way back in my mind, that there was something questionable about Padre Pio. I understand why, after reading the book. He died in 1968, so his life had been recent enough that I remember the controversy around this man. Could he really heal people? Was he a fake? Was he of God?
Saints are seen as crazy while they are alive.

No comments: