Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Shack

by William Paul Young
Read October 2008

This is one of those books that everyone says YOU HAVE TO READ. Luckily, it wasn't presented to me in quite that way. One of the people in my Why Catholic group told us about it. She was enthusiastic about it and said that it was a pretty amazing book.

I enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. It is a pop-spirituality book. God is portrayed as a big black woman. Jesus is a cool young carpenter. The Holy Spirit is a young, wise Asian woman.

This book isn't for everybody and it wouldn't have been for me if I hadn't been feeling the need for a spiritual message. There were a lot of things that really struck me. If I had read it at another time, I might have scoffed all the way through.

It's about dealing with loss and suffering and asking God, "Why?" I'm glad I read it.

No comments: