Saturday, August 20, 2011

What's Next?

I picked up two books (one audio, one paper) to read during vacation. Neither one has grabbed me. One is called The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman. I thought it would be a good comfortable food book. But, it doesn't seem to be that way. It's ok and I'll probably try to read it (not listen) again some time.


The other book is called The Herring in the Library, which caught my eye for obvious reasons. It's part of a mystery series by L.C. Tyler. so far, it's good. It's set in present day England. Ethelred Tressider is a second rate mystery writer. Elsie Thirkettle is his agent. They get mixed up in mysteries. It's a humorous cozy style mystery. I will probably keep reading this. It's short and I'm halfway through.

But I'm feeling the need for something familiar and comfortable. I wasn't going to start any more Anne Perry books because I thought I should go on to something different. But, when a person wants comfort, nothing else will do. So I am going to sart on the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series. There are 27 books - ten more than the Monk series. The first one, The Cater Street Hangman, is the first novel she ever published. I think I have the original copy that the library purchased back in 1979. It has an awful cover.


Perry published her first Monk book in 1990. It'll be interesting to compare this first book with her later works.

Featuring Thomas and Charlotte Pitt:
The Cater Street Hangman (1979)
Callender Square (1980)
Paragon Walk (1981)
Resurrection Row (1981)
Rutland Place (1983)
Bluegate Fields (1984)
Death in the Devil's Acre (1985)
Cardington Crescent (1987)
Silence in Hanover Close (1988)
Bethlehem Road (1990)
Highgate Rise (1991)
Belgrave Square (1992)
Farrier's Lane (1993)
The Hyde Park Headsman (1994)
Traitors Gate (1995)
Pentecost Alley (1996)
Ashworth Hall (1997)
Brunswick Gardens (1998)
Bedford Square (1999)
Half Moon Street (1998)
The Whitechapel Conspiracy (2001)
Southampton Row (2002)
Seven Dials (2003)
Long Spoon Lane (2005)
Buckingham Palace Gardens (2008)
Treason at Lisson Grove (2011)
Buckingham Palace Gardens (2008)
Dorchester Terrace (2012)

A Sunless Sea (2012)  (William Monk book)

No comments: