Friday, May 4, 2012

Wish You Were Here

by Amy Welborn
March 2012

Amy was my best friend in college. I've watched her writing career and kept up with her life through her blogs and books.  It was with such great sadness that I learned of her husband's death in 2009.  Amy had three older children from her first marriage and two very young boys from her marriage to Michael Dubruiel.

Amy and her family had just recently moved to Birmingham when Michael died. What do you do when "home" isn't really home anymore?  You might as well travel far far away.
Amy makes it clear that she wasn't really running away from anything. Michael's absence couldn't be avoided. Maybe in order to make sense of something, one has to get away and look at it from a distance.

Anyway, I have a hard time saying I enjoyed this book because I felt sadness for my friend. But I did love reading about her journey through Sicily and through the "shadow of death."   It also gave me a lot to think about regarding my own confrontation of loss through the death of Mama.

This is an enjoyable book. It's a travelogue of a single mother and her three children through rural and small town Sicily and it's the journey of  a soul.

Very worthwhile reading.

No comments: