Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Books from the Past

I haven't touched this blog in a long time but I've had lots of thoughts about some of the books I've read.  I just never wrote them down here.   

After finishing "The Day the World Came to Town" by Jim Defede I wanted to write down several things that came to mind.  (Note: I wish I had written down my thoughts about the Space Oddyssey books by Arthur C. Clarke.  It all had to do with aliens and the failings of mankind and Advent and Christmas and sin and redemption.  But I can't remember!!)

So, I came back to this blog to record my thoughts about the book I finished today.  In doing so I found a bunch of entries for books that I read back in 2013 or before.  These were draft posts with no text. They were just place-holders until I could come back and write about each book.   I don't know why I never wrote the posts.  After deleting two or three of these draft place-holders I realized I should at least record the names of the books here. I can't remember reading some of them so I really want to find out what they were all about.

These are in no particular order.  I've listed the date that I made the draft post, but I have no idea when I actually did read these books.  I do know that I DID, in fact, read them.


Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants by Alison Maloney  February 2013

Period 8 by Chris Crutcher,  April 29, 2013

Cat Daddy: How the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean by Jackson Galaxy  May 4, 2013

 Smile by Raina Telgemeier  April 30, 2013  
This is a graphic novel that was insanely popular when I was working at the Tates Creek Branch. It really is a good book and was followed by equally popular sequels.
 
Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World 
by Sy Montgomery  April 29, 2013
 
Who Done It? Investigations of Murder Most Foul edited by Jon Scieszka March 2013
 
Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden May 10, 2013
I only vaguely remember this book.  It sounds good!  It's an illustrated  novella.   Of course, the library no longer has this.

I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal Essays by Elinor Lipman  May 13, 2013
 
The Bonze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare  May 25, 2013
After the Newbery Medal was announced that year I decided to start reading every single  Newbery winner.  I also have a memory of a friend of mine coming to the library with his grandson. They were looking for a historical novel to read for a school assignment. I recommended this book because it takes place in Jerusalem during the time of the Roman Empire.   My friend did not consider this a historical novel because it wasn't about a historical event.    I still haven't decided if a historical novel is determined by the events in the book or the setting. Hmm.
 
King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry June 7, 2013
 
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson  June 23, 2013
 
Beyond by Graham McNamee June 25, 2013
 
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey  June 25, 2013
 
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare July 1, 2013
 
 Doll Bones by Holly Black  July 11, 2013
 
The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs by Jack Gantos  July 17, 2013
A very weird but good book.  One of the lesser-known Gantos books.
 
The Garden of My Imaan by Farhana Zia  July 26, 2013
About a Muslim middle school girl.  I loved this book.  I remember recommending it to one of my young Muslim patrons.  She also loved it and checked it out multiple times. I believe that she really was happy finding a book about someone like her.  💙

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman  August 8, 2013
 
Butter by Erin Jade Lange   August 11, 2013
 
The View from Penthouse B by Elinor Lipman  August 27, 2013
 
 
Looking at the dates from these books I notice that they are in chronological order.  Did I actually read that many books that summer?!  I usually don't read that fast!  

But many of these are young adult or juvenile novels. I also was probably trying to read as much as I could because of the Summer Reading Program.   Too bad that the library has quit using reading logs.  Keeping track of reading is not a component anymore.  One less headache for the librarians, but too bad for people like me.  It was motivating for me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: